Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Best Words: May 2016

This is a very special episode of The Best Words. Every quote here is by Robert Benchley, an awesome and funny writer I recently discovered thanks to this review.

(If you also want to see what I think was funny on Twitter this past month, here's the link.)

So about this guy. Robert Benchley was a humor writer from the 1910s to 1945. He wrote a ton of articles and books and movies. I just looked up the list and I've only seen two (The Gay Divorcee and Foreign Correspondent). I guess he wrote a lot of duds?

His son ended up being Peter Benchley, author of Jaws. So indirectly, you can thank this guy for Jaws. (Even though the book sucked in comparison to the Spielberg adaptation- it wastes like 100 pages on a clunky adultery subplot.)

The Benchley books I've read- so far!- include From Bed to Worse, Love Conquers All, Pluck and Luck, and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, or David Copperfield. Gems, all of them.

He specializes in whimsical, satirical observational humor. But every once in a while he'll drop a subtly brutal tirade on war, racism, and even a concise little anecdote that argues America is a failed experiment. Please note that Benchley's bitingly sarcastic take on racism- "Darkwater" in Love Conquers All- was published in 1922. Progressive thought on race relations was hardly the norm at the time.

"Instead of taking over a protectorate of Armenia we might better take over a protectorate of the State of Georgia, which yearly leads the proud list of lynchers."

Boom.

He was a master of the pithy epigram as well as a sustained comic anecdote. Some of his funniest work isn't cited here, because the effect doesn't work in excerpts. Just believe me, all his stuff is worth reading.

Enjoy!

* * *

“A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down.”

“Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment.”

“Defining and analyzing humor is a pastime of humorless people.”

“Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing.”

“Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony.”

“Great literature must spring from an upheaval in the author's soul. If that upheaval is not present then it must come from the works of any other author which happens to be handy and easily adapted.”

“It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.”

“The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.”

“There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't.”

“Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.”

“I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.”

“After an author has been dead for some time, it becomes increasingly difficult for his publishers to get a new book out of him each year.”

“Goethe was in delicate health and had seriously contemplated suicide. At least, that was what he said. More likely he was just fooling, as there is no record that he ever succeeded.”

“We all, like a lot of poor saps, believed that the molecule was the smallest division into which you could divide matter. Then someone came along and proved that the molecule itself could be divided into something called atoms. Well, the relief we felt at this announcement! Everyone went out and got drunk.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised, If things keep on as they are, if Shakespeare began to lose his hold on people. I give him ten centuries more at the outside.”

“Every year a lot of judges get together and decide on the best novels and plays of the season. Nobody asks them to. They just do it to be funny.”

“Let’s have an end of all this shilly-shallying. I killed Rasputin.”

“Croquet has one big advantage over most other games in that it can be played nowhere except on a croquet-field...This lends an aristocratic air to the sport, and also makes it easily avoided.”

“There has already been enough advice written for hostesses and guests so that there should be no danger of toppling over forward into the wrong sop or getting into arguments as to which elbow belongs on which arm. The etiquette books have taken care of all that.”

“I am a strict taskmaster for myself, and I expect others to be equally strict in their attention to duty. (There will be a short wait until the laughter of my employers and friends has died down.)”

“If the movement toward a uniform national divorce law is to gain any headway it is necessary for everyone to know just what the quickest ways of getting a divorce are at present- and then discard them. The final plan must be as unsatisfactory as possible, in order that there shall be fewer divorces and more axe-murders.”

“In the hurly-burly of modern life I sometimes wonder if enough attention is paid to the old-fashioned rites of demonology.”

“Someone has just estimated that the velocity of the wind on some of the stars is 140,000 miles an hour. That’s too fast for wind to blow.”

“One of the myriad traits that distinguishes me from the nation’s Great Men is my inability to finish a detective story. I can get right up to the last ten pages, but there galloping indifference sets in and I go out to the ice-box...when the detective explains just why he came to the conclusion that Scarboro did it I suddenly realize that I don’t even know what the characters’ names are, and that, furthermore, I don’t particularly care...But, so long as I get a certain amount of simple-minded enjoyment out of the first chapters, when the murder is committed, and can follow along with my forefinger over the more exciting developments of the plot, what difference does it make who really committed the crime? If I don’t care, who does? It’s my book, and I may do with it as I like.”

“I kept a diary from 1904 to 1921, more out of nervousness than anything else, and I give you my word a less important record has ever been compiled. It would seem impossible to write over six thousand pages, covering some of the world’s most momentous years, and still not have a single one worth reading, and yet I accomplished this herculean task...No one else is ever going to get a look at these diaries so long as I have a bullet in my rifle.”

“So you will see that it is the little things that count in successful police evasion, and the sooner our criminals realize this the fewer humiliating arrests there will be.”

“A great many people have asked me ‘How did you learn to play tennis?’ (Maybe it was ‘Why don’t you learn to play tennis?’ I don’t pay strict attention to everything that people ask me.)”

“I offer the fruit of my experience in the form of suggestions and reminiscences which may tend to clarify the situation, or, in case there is no situation which needs clarifying, to make one.”

“I am no man to make light of chess and its adherents, although they might very well make light of me. In fact, they have.”

“Just why beards and bigamy seem to have gone hand in hand through the ages is a matter for the professional humorists to determine. We certainly haven’t got time to do it here.”

“Perhaps some of our little readers remember what the major premise of this article was. If so, will they please communicate with the writer.”

“I can’t quite define my aversion to asking questions of strangers. From snatches of family battles which I have heard drifting up from railway stations and street corners, I gather that there are a great many men who share my dislike for it, as well as an equal number of women who, like [my wife], believe it to be the solution of most of this world’s problems. The man’s dread is probably that of making himself appear a pest or ridiculously uninformed. The woman’s insistence is based probably on experience which has taught her that any one, no matter who, knows more about things in general than her husband.”

“There are several ways in which to apportion the family income, all of them unsatisfactory. In our home we have hit upon the most unsatisfactory of all- the budget. If any worse system is known, I hope that my readers will write in and tell about it. Send communications to the Editor of the Worse-than-Budget Department.”

“A manufacturer can’t tell whether he has turned out an obscene play or a work of art...A good way to judge in advance about the intrinsic art of a sex play is to see whether the characters have a good time at it or not. If they get fun out of the thing, then it’s a harmful play. If they hate it, it’s a work of art.”

“During the early years of our political history the Republican Party was the Democratic Party, or, if you choose, the Democratic Party was the Republican Party. This led naturally to a lot of confusion, especially in the Democratic Party getting the Republican Party’s mail; so it was decided to call the Republicans ‘Democrats’ and be done with it.”

“Frankly, I am not much of a fight fan. I always get sorry for the one who is getting socked. On the other hand, if no one is getting socked, I am bored and start screaming for blood. There is no such thing as pleasing me at a fight.”

“It will be seen that in all these folk-songs the picaresque element is almost entirely lacking: that is, there is very little- perhaps I mean ‘picturesque’ instead of ‘picaresque.’ In all these songs the picturesque element is lacking.”

“Either somebody has rubbed candy over each key while I have been dozing here or the typewriter itself has a strain of maple in it and is giving off sap. I have never run across anything like it in all my experience with typewriters. The ‘j’ key looks so sticky that I am actually afraid to touch it. Ugh!”

“He polished his adjectives with meticulous and loving care.”

“There has got to be a drastic deflation in style among football-reporters, otherwise the sports-writers are going to find themselves swirling through space on comets, with bulging eyes and throbbing temples, trying to find newer adn moer ecstatic ways of saying, ‘Yale and Harvard played football yesterday.’”

“One of the big questions which is agitating society today is why I don’t go out to more parties...The real reason is that society has turned intellectual on me. You can’t go out any more to parties without being asked questions on matters of general information. Immediately the supper dishes are cleared away someone comes out with a list of questions concerning famous characters in history or literature, and there’s your evening- just sunk.”

“Of course, Plato only wrote only what he had learned from Socrates, and Socrates, like the wise old owl that he was, never signed his name to anything. So that left Plato holding the bag for an unworkable political theory which has been carried down to the present day.”

― Robert Benchley


-Compiled by Phony McFakename

* * *

Legal disclaimer: Me am on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and YouTube and even Pinterest if that's your thing. And me books am on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and Kobo and probably some other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment