Thursday, October 12, 2017

Favorite Quotes: October 2017

"Can't stop
Won’t stop
Climbing the mountain ‘til we reach the top!”
-Ice-T, Rappin’ (1985)

“Most of the world's problems could be avoided if people just said what they f**king meant.”
-Marilyn Manson, The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

“Two words: Duh!”

"What happened to sticking together?"
"I guess I'm just not feeling it anymore."
"Well, you can forget my number from your cell phone!"
-Bratz: The Movie

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.”
-Jim Carrey

“Overkill is trying to make a murder salad of your hero’s journey!”
-The Tick (2017)

“If I laugh at any mortal thing, ‘tis that I may not weep.”
-Lord Byron

“Civilization doesn't exist to maximize capitalism. Capitalism exists to maximize civilization.”
-Seth Godin

“I feel more happy when I’m happy than when I’m sad.”
-Carlton Mellick III, Teeth and Tongue Landscape

“We stress that the activity of joking cannot be said to have no aim or purpose, for it has set itself the unmistakable aim of arousing pleasure in the listener.”

“The most powerful stimulus to the joke-work is the presence of strong tendencies, reaching into the unconscious, which represent a special aptitude for producing jokes and may explain why the subjective conditions for making jokes are so frequently fulfilled in neurotic persons.”

“There are other ways of regaining nonsense and deriving pleasure from it; caricature, exaggeration, parody, and travesty make use of it, and in this way create ‘comic nonsense.’”
-Sigmund Freud, The Joke and Its Relation to the Unconscious

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt."
-Her

“It is arguable that an element of our enjoyment of these clever jokes is a self-congratulatory awareness of our own cleverness in enjoying them. We feel ourselves to be, as it were, in the company of clever people like ourselves, and feel joyful at the distinction it confers. We laugh in self-glorifying delight.”

“Tendentious jokes thus allow us to return to primary sources of pleasure normally barred by our internal censorship.”
-John Carey

“What’s wrong with you? You just ran that guy over! You must have a low IQ!”
-Horror House on Highway Five


-Phony McFakename


* * *

I exist on Twitter and Facebook and InstagramAnd my books are on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and Kobo and probably some other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment