Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Movie Lengths: A Treatise

Sometimes it feels like every feature-length movie should be a short.

I rarely see a movie that couldn't be more effectively conveyed in 10-20 minutes.

But I've been watching a lot of horror lately (thanks, Shudder!) so it could just be that the genre's cinematic tricks and tropes are starting to wear thin.

Hmm... nope. The problem really is that most movies are just feature-length because that's the most marketable motion picture format. People only produce shorts to prove their writing/visual chops.

Same thing with short stories. Box office poison, they are. Everyone just wants novels. There's pretty much no market for short stories. Used to be. (Used to be a market for short films, too. They played before or in-between movies screening in theaters up until the 1960s.)

Prime example: I liked Girl With All the Gifts (despite the WTF-for-WTF's-sake ending). But like every horror movie I see these days, the middle of the film terminally bogged. 45 minutes could have disappeared there and it wouldn't have changed the narrative one bit.

I remember hearing that (long before his other horrific deeds came to light) Harvey Weinstein was notorious for cutting his company's movies down mercilessly (even The Postman, Pulp Fiction, and big hits like that). Directors were mucho upset by that, as was I. 

But I totally get it now. There's a WHOLE LOTTA filler in movies that simply doesn't need to be there. And I've been watching a lot of stuff on Shudder lately that's filler-tastic (Solo, Blind Sun, Can't Take It Back, Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl, It Stains the Sand Red, Last Girl Standing, Sam Was Here shows like Jordskott Beyond These Walls, Black Lake, etc.).

That's another reason I really like the horror shorts on Shudder. Like The Puppet Man. Now that thing had no plot, just flashy Argento-ish lighting. But at 10 minutes, it didn't overstay it welcome. I would have hated it if they stretched that non-premise to feature length, but they nailed it in 10 minutes. I never once checked my phone or started multitasking. That's a high compliment.

If only more horror productions held our attention spans in such high esteem!


-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

* * *

I exist on Twitter and Facebook and InstagramAnd my Phony books are on Amazon here and my "legitimate" books are on Amazon here. Probably some other places, too.

3 comments:

  1. T5RX Your palms experiencing toward a person. Keep ft flat regarding floor dont put them up to your bench. This will keep the body steady or perhaps you have more of an associated with teetering over to one undesirable. http://www.strongtesterone.com/t5rx/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a horror movie fan, I prefer intrigue, time travel, sci-fi, and most of those movie could do with being at least 20mins shorter. The real test of a movie is when it isn't long enough which is a rare thing - that or not knowing quite where you are when the movie's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They say no bad movie is too short and no good movie is too long. I saw the bonkers new "King Arthur" the other day and was delightedly baffled by its frenetic editing and pacing. Turns out it was a 3 1/2 hour film the director cut down to 2 hours to make it more stylish. Gutsy move, even if the movie bombed!

      Delete