Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The Christopher Pike Blog That Wasn't


I wrote an approximately 3000-word blog on Christopher Pike.

Blogger ate it.

Was typing merrily away on it one day, as this was a blog I’ve been composing on and off for weeks. Had a list of all 61 Pike books and a fun little summary and a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on each. Plus an analysis of his work as a whole and why he’s so great.

And then it all just disappeared. The whole text area on Blogger went blank.

No, I didn’t accidentally “Select All” and delete. No, I didn’t hit any weird keys. Yes, I tried clicking “Undo” and no, nothing came back. Yes, I tried clicking “Back” and it was still blank. Yes, I tried reloading. Yes, I contact customer support and no, they did not respond.

This was possibly my favorite blog I ever wrote about a fun new writer I discovered late in life. And it just disappeared into the digital ether for no apparent reason.

Lesson learned: do not ever type your blog directly in Blogger. Just type it elsewhere, then paste it and post it. (Better yet: don’t use Blogger at all. I’m only here out of laziness, as this is where I started my blog back in 2015.)

Sometimes we have to be burned to learn wisdom and change our user behavior. Happens to the best of us.

I did luckily copy-and-paste a portion of the blog and send it to a friend a week or so before it disappeared. So I can share this with you below. Wish I was sharing the rest, too, but life happens.

His books are nutzoid in the cabeza. Cuckoo in the membrane. Insane for Cocoa Puffs. Pretty much every one of his novels has mind transference, aliens, murder mysteries, reincarnation of ancient spirits, cocaine, football players who were injured and now can't play football, time travel, evil supernatural entities, benign supernatural entities, girls named "Ann," vampires, hungry hungry teenagers, burn victims, skeptical cops, scuba diving, spaceships, ghosts, gossip, amnesia, horny horny teenagers, interdimensional rifts, venereal disease, cults, mad science, weird science, cheerleaders, meta-references to Pike's other books, pyromania, organ harvesting, the FBI, demons, high school dances, conspiracies, secrets & lies, body snatching, time-bombs coded in our DNA, dream sequences, explosions, brutal violence, harsh endings, perversion, stories-within-stories, people faking their deaths, miscellaneous high school drama, witches, endless rambling about meditation and inner peace, God, gods, fanaticism of all stripes, dinosaur people, lizard people, ancient Greek/Egyptian history, borderline-criminal parental neglect, and/or mind-boggling plot twists that also boggle the mind.

They're the best. Even the ones I don't like. You know how some books, you're not sure what will happen in the next chapter? With Pike books, sometimes you're not even sure what will happen in the next PARAGRAPH.

-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

* * *

My "legitimate" books are on Amazon here and my Phony McFakename books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram but I only really post regularly on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment