Monday, June 13, 2016

Cinemasterworks: Guest Post by Jack Balfour

One of my favorite writers has not published much online. He is mostly active on the Something Awful forums. But I am lucky enough to read his writing in the form of emails and Facebook messages. And this week, he gave me a truly special assessment of a truly special work of art that is truly worthy of Craptastique.

So just for the funz, I am having him on here as a guest blogger. The words that follow are his. Only the words in italics that you are currently are mine. Enjoy! (My words end...now!)

* * *

Yesterday, I observed what I believe was a movie (or film, as some call it). From the proceedings, it appeared that a large group of people contrived a series of set-pieces designed to convey the elements of a story.

There were sets- that is, locations that were either chosen for their inherent qualities or fabricated entirely- which were then decorated. Some people stood in and/or moved about in those sets, wearing clothes that they would not have worn under normal circumstances, and said things that I believe were scripted rather than extemporaneous. Sometimes these people were in situations which appeared to be confrontational or dangerous or both, but I believe these encounters were prearranged.

The proceedings were recorded using cameras and microphones, then packaged for consumption. I know this because I observed them on my television, the medium through which I normally enjoy movies and television programs. The proceedings were a fairly unbroken narrative lasting more than 100 minutes, well into the normal running time for a movie, rather than a television show.

The scenes depicted people talking to one another, and doing things, sometimes together or in opposition to each other. At some point, they stopped talking and doing things, and the experience was concluded but for a list of people involved, which I assume were credits. 

The title of these proceedings was Super Mario Brothers, and I am almost certain that it was a movie.

-Jack Balfour
* * *

Legal disclaimer: Me am on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and YouTube and even Pinterest if that's your thing. And me books am on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and Kobo and probably some other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment