Wednesday, February 27, 2019

From Sinemia/MoviePass to Eternity (Part 4 of ?)


Well, thanks to this fairly objective, concise article, I learned Sinemia pulled the plug on their magnificent $20/month unlimited plan and changed it to an eight-movie-per-month plan for the same price.

Oh well. It was a promotional offer. Props to the folks who were able to take advantage of it.

PLOT TWIST!

It looks like this isn't actually happening everywhere. Just checked on my phone and it still says the unlimited plan is available.

DOUBLE PLOT TWIST!

(Update, right as I'm about to publish this blog!) I just checked it on my computer and both the unlimited and eight-movie-per-month plan are gone.

Gotta be quick or be dead with these offers!

On the plus side, the "Classic" three-movie-per-month plan I'm on is now $7.99/month, a dollar cheaper than when I got it.

On the minus side, physical cards now cost $10 more than when I got mine.

So doing the math in my head...uh...carry the two...and...the current plan is a dollar cheaper per month, and the current card is 83 cents more expensive per month. So you still come out 17 cents ahead if you sign up now and get the same plan I got.

Make like the best film in the Rocky franchise and GO FOR IT!

*

My experiences with Sinemia Customer Support have been hilarious. In that I have none. No experiences. They never respond. That's funny.

HOWEVER, just two days ago, they finally responded by email to my inquiry about where on the website I might find the link to purchase a physical card.

I sent them that inquiry almost three months ago.

Better late than never!

No word back on the other three emails I sent them a couple months back. I assume I'll get a response around Thanksgiving.

In more recent times, I have actually gotten a couple brief responses from them, usually a week or two later, by direct-messaging them on Twitter. Rumors persist that they respond on Facebook, as well, but I cannot confirm.

I understand the way to get them to respond most promptly is to publicly tweet your problem and include @SinemiaApp or @SinemiaSupport in your tweet. Sucks that they make you be THAT person who complains on social media.

But, as Sinemia has repeatedly proven, they respond best to public shaming.

And that's better than not responding at all.

*

MoviePass customer service is no picnic, either, but they at least get a human to answer you when you use the chat function on the app.

And a real human on chat is who you'll need to talk to if you want to cancel your account. And I just found the information you need to give them to actually make your cancellation stick.

Long story short: people have been having a very hard time canceling their MoviePass accounts. They either get app error screens or it says their account is canceled and then keeps charging them every month.

Someone finally found the magic bullet.

You have to get an EMAIL CONFIRMATION that your account is canceled, otherwise your cancellation is not official and they will keep charging you. Oh, and they do not send emails confirming your account was canceled. You have to demand the email.

This means grabbing a screenshot from the terms of service and presenting it in a chat and repeatedly demanding they send you an email confirmation that your account is canceled.

This walks you through the process.

That's how it's done, if you want MoviePass out of your life.

You're welcome!

*

In other awesome MoviePass news, they fired their business development team.

Because, you know, you don't want your business to develop TOO much.

Let's be reasonable here.

Instead, they should just hire me and put me in charge of MoviePass.

My first act as Supreme Dictator of MoviePass? Making the app display all movies and showtimes for me. And making my plan unlimited, including multiple movie screenings per day.

The rest of you will keep getting "No Screenings." Bwahahaha!

*

Oh, and regarding the ongoing dumpster fire of MoviePass lawsuits by users and shareholders?

It burns on.

This week's highlight was the company's clever defense regarding its disastrous business model: "Hey, we told our investors we might lose all their money."

This checks out. No further questions, your Honor.

*

Oh, and remember how I wrote all those books bragging about how many MoviePass movies I saw? I thought I was pretty cool, seeing a total of 150 movies during my unlimited era.

Well, this guy puts me to shame.

He saw 181 movies during his MoviePass binge.

Now granted, he admits he had an abundance of free time to pull this off. He has three fewer kids than me.

But pulling off 181 movies? I SALUTE HIM ALL THE SAME!

A real hero. A real human being.

*

Some Internet sleuth finally found a zip code where MoviePass' lowest tier plan is actually offered at their "starting at" price of $9.95. (Everywhere else it's $12.95 or $14.95.)

The location?

Tahlequah, Oklahoma. Zip code 74464.

So there you go. You lucky Tahlequah folks, you!

I got curious and Googled this city. It's at the foothills of the Ozark mountains, in Cherokee County.

Cool enough.

But also, check this out: It lists the home of the horse who played Mr. Ed as one of its top ten tourist attractions. Specifically, it's the house Mr. Ed lived in late in life right before he died.

THE MR. ED DEATH HOUSE!? MUST-SEE!!!

Between that and being able to get MoviePass for only $9.95/month there, I might have to move to Tahlequah ASAP.



-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

My "legitimate" books are on Amazon here and my Phony McFakename books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram but I only really post regularly on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment