Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Writing Journal: Keepin' Up with Phony


I recently started a new job that has proven to be my most mentally demanding yet. I figured it would mean my writing would drastically slow down, or stop altogether.

Nope.

I cut my self-imposed daily output requirement from 1,000 words a day to 500, but I usually end up on a roll and cranking out more like 700 or 800. I grab every spare moment I can find to hammer out words, thanks to my cheap laptop (which I keep disconnected from the Internet to avoid distraction). So my writing reduction is negligible. As long as I keep writing fun short books, I’ll still be able to write a book every month or two.

That sounds ridiculous and unsustainable and possibly it is. Once I have 20 books out there, I’ll probably relax a bit. My system is to keep cranking ‘em out until one goes viral and then people can delightedly say, “What else you got?” And I can say, “I got 20 other books for you!” And the people can say, “Hallelujah!”

To keep you up to date on your favorite author’s work:
-I just published Used Zombies, which I actually wrote before my last two books, Tronald Rump Vs. Cockroach Zombies and Eric Roberts: The True Story. The delay came from revising it and trying to get the structure right. I blogged about that process here.

-UVA Law Professor Brandon Garrett tweeted his delight with Tronald Rump Vs. Cockroach Zombies. He actually read it before it was published and provided great feedback. (Power-Clashing Introvert also helped me whip that manuscript into shape and make it slightly less ridiculous. Oh, and Power-Clashing Introvert’s husband gave me great notes on Used Zombies that were super-helpful for fixing it up- he's a gem.)

-I finished my first out-and-out horror novel since 2010- The Gym- on my last day at my old job and am revising it now and my wife just finished designing the cover. And it’s a REAL novel- novels are technically required to be 40,000 words and this one crosses that line (JUST barely). I normally like to keep my books shorter out of respect for your attention span, but trust me- every word counts in The Gym. I made it as short as possible. No filler, all killer. I’m pretty stoked about it. Expect to read it in a month or so.

-I’m outlining my next book now. A delightful fable about moving to Florida titled, Please Don’t Eat My Face! It promises to be heartwarming AND politically correct!

-I’m just about done with my current book- Derpa Derp: A Novel of Atonement- and discovered that there were too many ideas for it. This silly experimental work on different religious philosophies on forgiveness is gonna have a sequel- Derpa Derp 2: Derp Derpa. And if I can’t fit all the rest in there, it’ll be a trilogy.

Funny thing about that- I’m not a fan of trilogies. If someone tells me a book- ESPECIALLY a fantasy book- is the first book in a trilogy, I’m liable to hurl it across the room ASAP.

But if I like a book, then knowing it’s part of a trilogy (or series) fills me with delight. It’s nice to know there’s more fun stuff like this just waiting for me to enjoy. I naturally expect the series to peter out after a few books, but that’s part of the experience. All beautiful things decay, it’s what makes their beauty special and sad at the same time. A series of books is no different.

Hopefully my books fill you with delight and make you go all Oliver Twist on me, bringing up a bowl and saying, “More please.”

And unlike the mean cook in Oliver Twist, I will be happy to fill your bowl with more literary slop!


-Phony McFakename

* * *

Legal disclaimer: Me am on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and YouTube and even Pinterest if that's your thing. And me books am on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and Kobo and probably some other places, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment