Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Compiling...

I always kinda wanted to take my favorite entries from this blog and make a little book out of it. Not exactly a cash-in/monetization, just a fun little thing. But I know what it sounds like, so I'ma go ahead and call it Craptastique: A Blog Cash-In, Volume 1.

I've been trying to make it since 2016 but other stuff kept getting in the way. Writing a couple dozen books, new kid, new career, annoying stuff like that. So the material I'm currently formatting/fixing only goes up to about early 2016. I estimate I'll complete a nice little book of my work to this day by about... 2023.

Something to look forward to!

I don't write in here as religiously as I did in 2015-2016, so it's been fun to look back and see the amount of time and detail and attention I put into all the reviews I wrote of stupid books/movies/pop culture stuff way back when. I wasn't writing books yet, so Craptastique was my outlet.

It's not like I have nothing to write about here. To paraphrase Kanye West, circa 2003: "My life is baller, and I do baller [stuff]." (I mean, at least as baller as a small-town Mormon father-of-three can be.) I read one spectacular book after another. I know people in Hollywood feeding me tantalizingly delectable info about art projects and cult celebrity kookiness. I took a weekend road trip with a friend to see the new Tommy Wiseau/Greg Sestero movie, Best F(r)iends, volume 2. On Monday night, I saw not one, but two preview screenings at my local Alamo with livestreamed Q & As with the cast(s)/director(s). Hereditary and Hotel Artemis. Fantabulous experiences, both. The Cloak & Dagger premiere event. Upgrade, too. I see everything with Moviepass. I see it all. And I have so much insight into all these flicks and so much to say about them. Several essays' worth.

But that part of my brain is gobbled up by finishing Dragon Mormon 2, plus my outline for Filmpass is up to 5,000 words, which I've found is just about the right number of words to consider the food officially prepped and ready to bake. I also cracked exactly what the bad guys in Filmpass are, since I had no idea when I started outlining it. So that was great.

My initial idea for Filmpass was basically my book The Gym but with movie theaters instead of a gym. Then I decided I'd already written that. But then I realized The Gym is my most popular book. So I decided maybe I should go ahead and write something different, but the same. But then I realized that would be boring. So I made it something different.

Also I need to give Happy Chemtrails! another once-over before giving it to you, kind readers. Ideally want it out before I hit a library conference later this month. It's good to have deadlines.

People seem to be liking Dragon Mormon and that's nice. Hope you enjoy the sequels.


-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

* * *

My Phony books are on Amazon here and my "legitimate" books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment