Wednesday, April 3, 2019

From Sinemia/MoviePass to Eternity (Part 12 of ?)

Sinemia can't stop nuclear-blasting themselves in the crotch.

Based purely on rumors, I've long suspected their CEO is the world's worst person. But today I got confirmation. The first in-depth interview with him I've ever seen. It extends over five pages and it's a gem of madness.

Props to the reporter for doing his homework and actually calling the CEO out on specifics. Un-props for not hitting the CEO on the scam "prorated refunds."

The best part is when the CEO angrily denies the app was down and even after the reporter says he has hundreds of examples of people unable to use the app, the CEO still demands evidence. Then even after the reporter says it took 90 minutes for him personally to get a ticket with his own Sinemia account, the CEO keeps stonewalling. The leader we need!

Best question the reporter asks: "Are you not hearing that frustration, as the CEO and founder of this company, are you not hearing that frustration? I apologize, but you’re making it sound like I’m the delivery man here. I am asking, is what I’m explaining to you not something that you have heard?"

And when confronted with hard facts about the ripoff fees, the CEO actually responds, "If you really think that, you’ll not use Sinemia."

And when the reporter expresses people's outrage about the ID photo verification stuff, the CEO diplomatically replies, "Yeah. Well, that’s their choice."

Okay, then!

And when he confronts the CEO about people like me, who were wrongfully terminated for nonexistent fraud, the CEO has a downright statesmanlike response: "That’s a good question. That’s a good question. That is actually, I can tell you this, that there is of course and, well, I can’t say that…  There’s a high reason of fraud."

Indeed. There's a high reason of fraud, indeed.

It's really something. And reveals so much. This is a desperate company, scrambling at every level. Rotting from the top down.

The CEO is either completely evil and lying like it's going out of style. Or he's completely oblivious to the malicious and incompetent operation of his company.

Either way's not ideal for him.

The only thing I can give them credit on is they delivered on the promise at the end of the article. They now have a live site for reporting app issues.

And a live site for disputing account cancellations.

Do you think I disputed mine?

If you think yes, then you think right.

They say the investigation will take 1-3 business days. If my account is reinstated, I will be more shocked than the movie Shocker. And I will admit there's a possibility this company isn't as evil as they appear. Time will tell on that (they've been known to reactivate and then re-cancel accounts), but it means it's possible.

If my account remains canceled, well, there you go. I was right all along. I like being right, so I kinda hope they screw me on this.

*

And in the wake of the Sinemia CEO's derp-tastic interview, this is basically a brief footnote from that worthless pack of lying liars who like to lie. Buncha nonsense rationalizing their wave of cancellations.


And looking back, I struggled to check in to a couple movies and couldn't do so until after my movie. Because the app was down.

It's pretty clear now that they sabotaged the app to block people from checking in to movies...and then canceled accounts of people who were unable to check in to those movies.

Seems legit.

Oh, and they changed their terms of service to block people from suing them. Wonder why?

And reddit folks have been on to this nonsense for weeks, but article-writers are finally noticing that you can't actually see a movie with Sinemia anymore.

Not my problem, as I'm among The Canceled, but it keeps getting worse for the poor folks who haven't been canceled or haven't proactively preemptively canceled their accounts yet.

*

And MoviePass Uncapped is still a thing a full week or so after online accounts bubbled up of people getting their cards. And getting actual help from customer support.

It even lasted a full single weekend!

Can it last two weekends? We'll find out!

*

In other happy news, MoviePass somehow raised 6 million in funding.

In other sad news, MoviePass shut down their Instagram comments. Party's over. It was fun to watch the kvetching while it lasted.

*

I was recently trying to figure out what Moviefone even is. It's owned by the MoviePass company. And it's been around forever and has been sold and resold. I went to their website and couldn't figure out what I supposed to do there. It's extremely scattered and random.

But it looks like they have plans for it. They hired the senior editor of Rotten Tomatoes.

So they're building buzz for it, so they can...I still don't get it.

This is underpants gnome marketing.

Step 1: build up Moviefone
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit

They can't lose!

*

Really I just liked the title of this article, as it classifies MoviePass as a "phenomenal failure." That's the best description I've heard yet.

Truly, it was phenomenal.

And truly, it was a failure.

*

A while back, Sinemia was trying to partner with theater owners to build subscription services for them. That seems to have fizzled out, and Sinemia's brand is totally radioactive now.

So Atom is making headlines for trying to do the exact same thing. No one remembers Sinemia tried this and failed.

Atom has a better rep, at least. My experience with them was completely positive.

Good luck to them, I suppose.

*

And this feels like someone crashed the party without an invitation and didn't introduce themselves.

Another movie ticket subscription service. Called Infinity. With no specifics listed.

In a post-Sinemia world, we have to just assume it's an exit scam or Ponzi scheme until given evidence to prove otherwise. Us suckers are getting less dummy-dum by the day, as we keep getting ripped off or scammed by this industry.

One day we'll learn.

*

And this is possibly the first funny April Fools prank ever.

Vertical cinema screens becoming the next new thing.

They even fooled me for a couple seconds. And that's the longest I've ever been fooled by any online hoax ever.

Thanks, Alamo. You made my day. For a couple seconds.


-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

My "legitimate" books are on Amazon here and my Phony McFakename books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram but I only really post regularly on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment