Wednesday, April 10, 2019

From Sinemia/MoviePass to Eternity (Part 13 of ?)

Sinemia is getting smacked around, as they should be.

It's nice to see their CEO getting held to task by every reporter that contacts him. Sometimes the media gets it right.

Not to mention that old, forgotten lawsuit MoviePass filed against Sinemia is finally going forward, after all.

Ah, spring is in the air! The sun is shining! All is well!

*

In case I haven't already made it 100% clear that you should avoid Sinemia like a plague of locusts, this guy makes a pretty compelling case that Sinemia is an exit scam.

I had never heard of this "exit scam" thing, but I wish I had, otherwise I wouldn't have sent them my ID, even in redacted form with the numbers blocked out.

TLDR: an exit scam is when a company develops enough business to become trusted and collects your personal information. They keep signing up new customers while old customers never receive their orders. The company then closes down or claims it was hacked, in either case taking your money/identity/credit card information and selling it on the black market.

That shoe fits Sinemia's foot like a foot-glove.

I know people who sent unredacted copies of their IDs to Sinemia, so Sinemia now has their driver's license numbers. Yikes.

Hopefully they're not an exit scam.

But they sure smell like one.

*

And speaking of scams...

I went ahead and signed up for MoviePass again!

Specifically: the "uncapped" plan, at $14.95 a month. No way in Heaven or Hell was I gonna give them my bank account information to pay $120 for a year in advance. I'll pay an extra $5 a month for the freedom to cancel whenever I want, in addition to not giving MoviePass my bank account information.

I'm hearing nothing but positive chatter online about it. It's working, I confirmed: the app looks like the good old days, with all screenings available. They already emailed me one business day after I signed up to say my card's on the way. And they invited me to invite three friends to have a free first month of MoviePass, same as they did way back when. Ah, the good old days!

How many movies do you have to see before they cap you on the "uncapped" plan? You better believe I'll find out.

They also make it clear they're gonna jack the monthly price to $19.95 soon. I wonder how long that will take. But really, I'm willing to pay $19.95 a month to go to the movies whenever I want. As long as I can actually GO TO THE MOVIES WHENEVER I WANT.

Here's the thing, though: the new Avengers is coming out weekend after next. That doesn't bode well, as the release of the last Avengers film last year was the trigger for MoviePass to start throttling screenings and implement peak pricing. So goodness knows what horrors the company will unleash after the new Avengers is released.

So here's my plan: get my card soon, see a bunch of movies, watch the company implode over Avengers weekend, and cancel before my first month is up.

It's good to have a plan.


-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

My "legitimate" books are on Amazon here and my Phony McFakename books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram but I only really post regularly on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment