Wednesday, April 24, 2019

From Sinemia/MoviePass to Eternity (Part 15 of ?)

Not a whole lot to report, other than MoviePass making waves for losing 90% of their customers.

You know. Because they offered an impossibly good product and then made it impossibly awful.

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't worse. I would've expected them to lose at least 99% of their customers. Still having 225,000 after their career-high 3 million is still respectable.

Though, of course, they deny it. Because why wouldn't they?


Another interesting number in there is that only 13,000 people have signed up for the new "Uncapped" plan.

You know. Because they throttle movies and showtimes randomly and eradicated customer trust and now no one wants to give them a chance anymore.

As for me? I saw two movies with Uncapped in my first week and it was fine. I check the app now and then and get the "No screenings available" up until noon and late in the evening. And sometimes there's only two or three movies available. But that's at least something. I haven't run into any situations where there are no screenings available all day long.

But of course...That's because the new Avengers hasn't come out yet.

*

MoviePass and Sinemia both love to accuse their customers of fraud, though Sinemia has been way more crooked about using it as a pretext for cancelling accounts of people who actually cost the company money.

A new article this week actually listed specific types of fraud MoviePass deals with.

And I have to admit: there are a couple in there that never even occurred to me.

Specifically:

-A Williamsburg theater setting up their kiosks to charge MoviePass cards an additional $3 for tickets.

-A California theater that made its employees sign up for MoviePass and use it to buy tickets for movies during slow times.

Evil genius there.

Fraud is bad, yes. But I still think the biggest financial problem MoviePass had was, you know, offering unlimited movies for $9.95 a month.

*

Oh, and MoviePass also picked up a film for distrubution called Villains.

Will it be the next Monsters and Men? Or another Gotti?

We shall find out! Ah, the anticipation!


-B.P. Kasik/Phony McFakename

My "legitimate" books are on Amazon here and my Phony McFakename books are on Amazon hereI exist on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram but I only really post regularly on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment